Wednesday, October 3, 2012

31 Days to a More Organized Life : Day Three : Master Bedroom Closet, Part Two

I've been hard at work making some small, but effective changes in the design of my closet. Of course there are bigger things I'd love to do, like swap out our sliding doors for big hinged doors that would let us use the space even better, but that is for another day.

Today I'm sharing how you can create a much more organized closet space just by removing clutter and using what you have.

You can see that I removed a lot of junk. Lots of hangers waiting to be filled with clothes I actually want to wear (hello hidden perks of reorganizing)!

I bought two canvas shelf organizers at Target. They were $7.99 each and really help corral the jeans and yoga/pj pants on the top shelf. I used three Command hooks for the hats to use up that open space on the back wall. Ok onto the other side of the closet.

 
I added a couple more Command hooks to the side of the shelving to hang a bag and hat. I replaced the striped basket o' bathing suits with two cheapo stackable plastic drawers from Target. But since I don't live in a dorm room, I didn't want them to look so much like cheap plastic. Fabric and a glue gun to the rescue. Check out the difference!
Tutorial on the fabric-covered drawers to come soon. So easy, but what a difference it makes!
I did a lot of shopping the house to save money on this project. I found this long basket and used a couple small chalkboard tins that I recently found in the dollar-spot at... you guessed it... Target! I used the tin buckets to hold jewelry. I already had my necklaces hanging on a belt-hanger so that was one task already crossed off the list. 

So what do you think? One more time for the seats in the back...

 

 

If you missed days one and two, take a look here


Linking up to...

Becoming Martha

11 comments:

  1. Love the fabric drawers. Can't wait to see the diy post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish I could say it was a really difficult project but it wasn't. I'll post a tutorial soon!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely organized close you have--it motivates me to get busy and clean out mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I still have more I'd like to do but this is a major improvement.

      Delete
  3. Looks great! love the shelf organizers and fabric drawers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shelf organizers are really useful for keeping stacks in order. In the future I'd like to figure out a way to do a DIY version but they aren't too expensive so for time's sake, they do the job very well. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. terrific! Your before and after pictures speak volumes. I imagine you are loving your 'new' space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great before and after's! I WISH I could keep my closet clean...it never lasts more than a week :o(

    Thanks for taking the time to link up at Keep Calm & Link Up this weekend! We're thrilled you chose to party with us :o)
    xo, Meredith @ www.waittilyourfathergetshome.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith! I'm doing my best to keep this in order. I keep trying to remind myself how much better it feels to open the closet and see this instead of piles everywhere!

      Delete
  6. awww...don't you feel a little lighter? I did a little of this over the weekend...but there's still some left to do...sigh...as much as it's not my favourite thing to do, I feel so much better afterwards...thanks for giving me a little push...:) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel freeing to get rid of all that stuff! Good luck working on yours :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say and checking out your blogs too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share