Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Five Ps

Have you ever heard of the Five Ps? It goes a little something like this "Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance" or if you're like my mom, there are actually six Ps "Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance." Either way you go, it's pretty right on, especially when it comes to home projects, sewing, crafts, etc. 

Yesterday was a perfect example of what happens when you don't plan ahead appropriately. I had a babysitter for a few hours and it was a nice day so it seemed like a good time to get a few spray-painting projects done. My little ones are too up in my business still for stuff like that so it's not something that can be done with them playing nearby. It started out as a great plan. I only had two small items from the local thrift store that I wanted to paint.


I actually like the candle-holder as is, but I wanted it for our mantel and the lime green doesn't jive with the rest of the decor so a little paint to the rescue. The jug was super cute but a little too country for me. Again I thought a little paint would do the trick. 

I had just finished priming them and spraying on the first coat when I heard the gardeners in the front yard. Awesome. Quickly I ran to the front yard and told the head gardener not to let anyone use the blower in the back corner of our yard, thinking this would prevent dust from blowing all over my freshly-painted, not yet dry projects. Unfortunately when I got back to my little work station, the lawnmower in the front yard had already kicked up a bunch of dust. Luckily not too much damage was done since the paint had dried pretty quickly. 

The jug turned out very simple but still shows the imprint of the label. 


I like the black on the candle holder even though the lime green was fun. The black definitely works better in our house.


I also turned a few old paperbacks (which were not good in case you're wondering and I am not sure why I kept them or why I have two copies??) into a knock-off Ballard book bundle for the mantel. I'll show the full mantel when it's all done... hopefully before we have guests this weekend ;)


Gotta love Instagram! It turns the most mediocre blah picture into something awesome. I hope you enjoyed the adventures of a spray-painting newbie! 

What's your favorite thing that you've transformed with a little paint?



shabby creek cottage

6 comments:

  1. Both turned out great! I'm a "spray-paint fanatic" myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting... and leaving a comment! I appreciate the complement. As a spray-paint amateur I'm always happy when it turns out well :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, over from TT, your pictures look great. I'm having heaps of fun with PicMonkey, really easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I think PicMonkey might be my new favorite editing tool. It definitely makes the process simple and streamlined for beginners. I appreciate your comment!

      Delete
  3. I love how spray paint can transform a project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It makes me wonder about all the things I threw away or donated over the years that could have been made over with a simple coat of paint!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say and checking out your blogs too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share