Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Mmm, pie

After two large family dinners at our house during Christmas, we were left with an abundance of leftovers. In the past, I have cringed guiltily as I've thrown away container after container of uneaten food during a refrigerator purge. This time I took a page from my aunt's book and was able to use almost all of our leftovers. So easy. So effective. So delicious.

Chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort food in my book and we were not disappointed. I also made a beef pot pie with the remains of my standing rib roast from Christmas day. The beef pot pie was met with slightly less enthusiasm but still enjoyed. The chicken pot pie was the true hero, impressing not only the Husband, but my parents-in-law as well. Go me! I am truly a domestic goddess. And yes, that is my actual pie in the picture above. Below is the inside prior to cooking.

I just chopped up the leftover chicken, added some peeled, boiled potato chunks, frozen peas and corn, and some store-bought chicken gravy. The gravy could be construed as cheating but in this case there was no leftover gravy or stock and you need something to bind the ingredients. The last pie I made had homemade gravy in it so I'm not beating myself up too much over this one. I also used store-bought frozen pie crusts. Just thaw them a bit and use one of the crusts as the topper. Poke a few holes in the top to let steam escape and bake the pie at 375 for about 30 minutes. I sometimes crank the oven to 400 for another few minutes at the end to get a good golden crust. Then just serve it up. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. yes domestic goddess you are. that's why i gave you that very domestic owl apron. did you wear it? i think it might bring you good luck in your cooking endeavors. ;) love love your sista

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say and checking out your blogs too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share